Tuesday, August 19, 2008

He Ain't Heavy

"There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California"--Edward Abbey

Well my brother visited me last week with his friend Walker and despite my own opinions constantly being voiced, my brother is in love with LA and California. The main point of this post is to show ya’ll some pictures because recounting the actual events of the week my brother and his friend Walker were here will probably bore you. I’ll give you a short rundown so the pics make sense then limit myself to captions, I promise :)

Thursday
-Pick up rental car at 6, ‘move in’ to my apartment and hang with my new roomie Erin, and then pick up boys at 11 pm ish cause of flight troubles. Then I took the boys to In N Out, the California fast food chain that most are obsessed with. There’s one right by the airport where people go to watch planes take off sometimes.

Friday
-Drive to Escondido, (with minor detours) eat at macaroni grill, a chain with some enjoyable dishes, as I’m sure all of you know. What can I say; I’m a sucker for cheese and pasta. Drop the boys at the skate park and check into the Holiday inn.

Saturday
-More of the same, skating, although during the middle of the day there is a no skating time so we went to a farmers market and an orange orchard (grove, farm?) and picked oranges then skated more.

"California is a fine place to live—if you happen to be an orange."--Fred Allen

Sunday
-The boys got to skate with almost every professional in-line skater on the west coast, so from here on basically no matter what I did I could guarantee them having a good trip. Then I took them for awesome Mexican food. It was incredible.

Walker with his Carne Asada burrito, his standard order


Will drinking horchata, a cinnamon-y rice milk drink. Delicious.

Monday
-Moving! I rented a 10’ uhaul truck and we moved my stuff one block from my boyfriends’ place to my new place. Low point of the day, getting yelled at in Spanish by a guy upon a not even close to a collision incident; highpoint was the sound of the ice cream cart guy—one dollar ice cream bars=mmmm.

Tuesday
-Skating again, plus leftover shrimp and traffic. Also that night we went to my favorite Chinese place ever, hooray for slippery shrimp!

Will sporting his high class elbow pads with Walker in the background

Wednesday
-Six flags, not much more to say. We got handed a half off coupon, so that was cool. And then leftover Chinese and push pops for dessert, meal of champions. Courtney arrived that day, and we all watched the Olympics with lots of commentary whenever a McCain add came on :)

Batboy looking pensive with his cape blowing in the wind


Batboy's neon shoelaces blind his opponents so that he can karate chop them

California sunsets, made beautiful by smog

Thursday
-Lunch at my favorite sushi place in Beverly Hills. We almost didn’t make it because of traffic. Apparently business lunches make everything miserable in that area but I finally scored a parking space. Courtney, will and I shared some awesome sushi and Walker got some chicken teriyaki (thank goodness they had it, I had a momentary panic attack at being informed of his dislike of all seafood). Then we walked around rodeo drive to see how the other 16th of the population lives and we saw some expensive cars, which was exciting for the boys. Then we went to Scoops, an amazing gelato place where they have flavors like white grape peach, whiskey apricot, and apple pie. That night we had a bunch of people over to heckle the Olympics and such; good times.

Shenanigans


Courtney thinks this is the perfect photo because it perfectly embodies each boy's personality

Friday
-5 am got up and headed for the airport

I was soo glad to not have to drive in LA anymore , and to be able to decorate my place. I'll put up photos when my brown and turquoise paradise of a room is complete!

1 comment:

leens said...

you just gave a rundown of all the fave places in LA...el taurino, slippery shrimp, scoops, etc. next up is Versailles and House of Chan Dara. I still haven't been to the sushi place you like...needs to happen.